SF Sailing League
Learn to Sail in San Francisco
Learn to sail in San Francisco! San Francisco Sailing leagues are the perfect place to hit the water and become a boating master. Our leagues are the perfect place for boaters of all levels who are looking to try something new, meet some new people and have some friendly competition.
Join the SF Social sailing league and board your sailboat each week with your friends to race around the harbor while learning to sail from certified sailing instructors. You need NO previous sailing experience to participate.
Sailing will reopen for the Spring 2020 season!
Upcoming Sailing Leagues in San Francisco
How to Sign Up
- A full Sailing team is 5. If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee’s among team members.
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in Denver!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before signup deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Please visit the Sailing Rules page to learn more about how the SF Social Sailing program works.
Players registered with SF Social enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo City Events
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in SF and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Food & Drink Specials
- Dedicated space & reserved tables for your league
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!
SF Social Sailing FAQ
What can I expect at a SF Social sailing league?
The SF Social Sailing League is perfect for first time sailors. The 6-week program will start with a learn to sail and slowly ease you into racing, taking time for each person to try new positions onboard and focusing on fun and learning!
Do I need to be an experienced sailor?
Not at all! The SF Social Sailing Series welcome sailors of all levels, beginner through advanced. We provide the boat, the coach, and the race management team so that you and your friends can learn to sail and compete against each other in a fun, social, and safe atmosphere. Shoot us an email if you have questions!
How many people do I need for a full sailing team?
A full sailing team is 5 sailors. If you and your crew don’t have a full roster, we’ll merge you with another small group. FYI – merged teams generally have extra players to protect against forfeits. If you’d like to make sure you have a larger or smaller team, you can register as a prepaid team which allows you determine the amount of players on your team.
How much does it cost to join SF Social sailing?
You can expect your SF Social sailing series to be approximately $380 per sailor for the entire season. Registration fees are dependent on location and day of the week, so be sure to check the league details carefully. After you sign up, everything else is taken care of for you. Your registration includes league shirt, sailing instructor, venue & boat costs, insurance, equipment, prizes, league management and so much more!
Don’t forget, when you sign up with SF Social, your league registration helps provide free youth sports programs in San Francisco through the Volo City Kids Foundation. #playwithpurpose
What are the SF Social sailing gender requirements?
There are no gender requirements when it comes to our sailing series. Sail on, sailors!
How SF Social Sailing Works
- For beginners: We provide the boat, the coach, and the race management team so that you and your friends can learn to sail and compete against each other in a fun, social, and safe atmosphere.
- How it works: You and four fellow sailors will be competing in 2-4 races every weekend in the San Francisco Bay. You can expect to be on the water for about 2 hours per week.
- Training: Each racing team will be accompanied by a certified coach who will guide your team through the finer points of sailing.
- The course: Depending on the conditions, race management may decide to run races over different shaped courses around a number of large, inflatable markers. There will also be races around iconic Bay landmarks.
- The Finish: First across the line wins – it’s as simple as that! The winner of each race will be awarded 1 points, second 2, and so on. The lower your score the better your standing… like golf.
- Standings: Each week we will add up your points, and we will keep standings throughout the season which will be published weekly on the website.
- Team Size: Each team will consist of 5 team members (or crew as they say) per boat and one certified coach. The team minimum is 5, but you can have up to 8 people signed up for your team but only 5 team members can fit on the vessel at once. You may rotate on a weekly basis between different teammates if you wish.
- League Perks: Everyone will enjoy food and drink specials at the sponsor bar after sailing, as well as league shirts, an end-of-season party, and prizes for the winning team.