NUMBER 1 FLAG FOOTBALL RULE
● ONLY the captain can ask about a RULES CALL, NOT a JUDGEMENT call
● Don’t argue judgement calls (if you slow down the game you will receive a penalty)
● This is a Coed 8v8 league aka maximum of 8 players on the field
○ Teams can field a maximum of 5 males on the field
○ Teams must have at least 3 females to field a full 8 players
○ Teams must have a minimum of 5 to play, 1 must be a female
● Teams receive one, 1 minute timeout per half (do not carry over)
● Games are played with a running clock, 24 minutes per half (only stops in the 2nd half
under 2 minutes)
● This is a NO BLOCKING league
● Players must loudly count out 5 Mississippi on the line to rush the quarterback to not
count as a blitz
● Each team receives one untimed blitz each new set of downs
● Players cannot leave their feet unless to make a catch or to avoid a dangerous
● All players are eligible receivers
● NO flag guarding
● There is NO Blitzing inside the 5 yard line but the defense can rush after a 5 count.
● Quarterback Running
○ Allowed to run on any play EXCEPT:
■ Within the 5 yard line (or 1 point conversion) unless the
quarterback is rushed by the defense after a 5 count.
■ Males QBs CANNOT run on gender plays
● Female score(s) count for one bonus point on all scoring plays
○ If a woman throws to another woman that is only 1 extra point
● NO Fumbles: The football is considered a dead ball where it touches the ground
● Teams MUST have 1 gender play, at least once every in every 3 plays
● With male QB: you CAN have 1 male on the L.O.S. to guard the QB.
● All males MUST play 10 yards back until the ball is thrown, then they are able to break inside the 10 yard mark on the
○ If the offense overloads on females (3+), the defense can designate one male to cover the extra female without
providing the 10 yard safety zone.
○ If the QB is female, the defensive players do not need to provide the 10 yard safety zone.
● The gender play must be for or attempted for positive yardage
○ If the female ball carrier is “tackled” behind the line of scrimmage or an incomplete pass is made behind the line of
scrimmage it does not count as the required operative play.
● A female player CAN blitz the QB
○ Only if the team’s blitz for that down set is available
● A woman CANNOT hand off to a man – she can throw it forward to a man but he MUST get past the L.O.S.
● The offensive team must declare that they are going to punt – NO fakes or blocks allowed
● The ball does not need to be hiked to the punter
What is that “V” on Your Shirt?
The V represents our new brand, Volo City. The new brand will tie together our free youth leagues, adult leagues, events, performance leagues & fitness classes across the country in our 8 markets (Denver, San Francisco, NYC, Baltimore, Boston, Seattle, Washington D.C. & Charleston, S.C.).
We are excited about the inclusion of free youth leagues that are made possible by your participation! If you are interested in volunteering, stay tuned as we will be sending out more information during the season.