SF Volleyball League
Grass & Indoor Volleyball Leagues in San Francisco
Ready, SET, SPIKE! Get your game on and join SF Social for indoor, sand or grass volleyball leagues. Join one of our volleyball leagues in San Francisco for a fun and social time on the court in Golden Gate Park, Mission Bay, & beyond. After your game, celebrate with your teammates with a few drinks at one of our sponsor bars!
We pride ourselves on making sure that we provide everything you need to relax and have a blast. All you need to do is show up and find your team – we’ve got everything else covered.
Upcoming Volleyball Leagues in San Francisco
How to Sign Up
- Minimum players for a full volleyball team is 9. If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee’s among team members.
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before registration deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in San Francisco
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
SF Social Volleyball FAQ
What can I expect at an SF Social volleyball league?
A premiere, FUN experience! Plan to arrive at the field/court 10-15 minutes before game time to meet up with your teammates and get ready to play in your SF Social volleyball league. Teams will play best of 3 sets. The first two games are to 25, and the third game is to 15 if it comes to that. You do not need to win by 2 points. Once your game ends, the night is just beginning. Head to your sponsor bar for drink specials and a chance to meet everyone in your league.
How competitive are the volleyball leagues?
We’re all about having a good time here at SF Social! While we offer some competitive volleyball leagues, those are specifically labeled as such and everything else is all about being social. Check each league for specific information on the SF Social volleyball page or shoot us an email if you have questions!
How many people do I need for a full volleyball team?
All volleyball teams are required to have a minimum of 9 players. If you and your crew don’t have a full roster, we’ll merge you with another small group. FYI – merged teams generally have extra players to protect against forfeits. If you’d like to make sure you have a larger or smaller team, you can register as a prepaid team which allows you determine the amount of players on your team.
How much does it cost to join SF Social volleyball?
You can expect your SF Social volleyball league to be anywhere from $65-$1150 per player for the entire season. Registration fees are dependent on location and day of the week, so be sure to check the league details carefully. After you sign up, everything else is taken care of for you. Your registration includes league shirt, referees, venue costs, insurance, equipment, prizes, league management and so much more!
Don’t forget, when you sign up with SF Social, your league registration helps provide free youth sports programs in San Francisco through the Volo City Kids Foundation. #playwithpurpose
What are the SF Social volleyball gender requirements?
When signing up your volleyball team, be aware that each team can have a maximum of 6 players on the court at a time. 2 of those players must be female. You must have a minimum of 3 players to play, and 1 of those players must be female.
SF Social Volleyball Rules
6 v 6 Basic Rules
- Rule number one – Be nice!
- Minimum 3 players in order to play; 1 female
- Maximum 4 males on the court at a time
- No gender rule for hitting or blocking
- Please show up 10 minutes early to stretch and warm up
- Refs will be responsible for making calls- no arguing with the refs
- The league host will keep the score of the game and be there for support! Feel free to clarify rules with your host.
- Best of 3 sets
- If a team is up 2-0, you can play the third for fun until time runs out
- The first 2 sets are to 25 points
- If it’s tied after the first 2 sets, the third set is to 15 points
- You do NOT have to win games by 2 points
- Rotate all players onto the court in an orderly fashion
- Substitutions may occur at 1 or 2 positions on the court. No more than 2 players can substitute per point.
- Any position can spike and/or block – including the back row
- You can block and then make a legal hit in a row. You cannot block a serve.
- Player cannot reach over the top of the net to interact with the ball
- No lifts/carries allowed
- Balls can be played off of a planted foot
- No jump serves except competitive leagues
- Rock-Paper-Scissors dictates who gets first serve for 1st and 3rd sets
- Crossing under the net will end the point and the other team will be awarded the point and serve
- No stepping/crossing the line when serving. If line is crossed, a point and next serve is given to opponent.
**If after the ball crosses the net and your team plays the ball and it then hits the ceiling, back, or side wall or anything besides the floor (like basketball net) and does NOT cross the net, the ball IS STILL LIVE.**
- If the ball hits the ceiling and goes over the net or hits any walls, the point is over
- Out of bounds is the area outside the designated court line. If the ball falls on the line, it is IN bounds.
- Teams without the minimum number of players will forfeit after 10 minutes from their designated start time
- Playoffs only: If the league host does not recognize one of your players, they may need to show ID to prove they are on the roster. All players playing in playoff games must have played in at least 1 regular season game.
*Forfeit Rule*: All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season unless you forfeit twice within the regular season. Teams that forfeit twice in one season will not be placed in the tournament bracket.
- 6 vs. 6 Coed, at least 2 Females on the court
- Teams of 10 to 15 players
- Rally scoring
- 7-8 weeks of game play including a final tournament
- All teams make the playoffs
- Quality equipment provided
- Sponsor bar gives league participants deals to encourage post-game socializing
- Click here for a full list of rules
Players registered with SF Social enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo City Events
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in SF and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Food & Drink Specials
- Dedicated space & reserved tables for your league
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!