SF Softball League
We offer 6 week softball seasons plus 1-2 weeks of playoffs, and all teams make the playoffs!
It’s time to swing at the chance to play softball in San Francisco! SF Social offers San Francisco softball leagues throughout the week and weekends in Marina! Join us for a fun and exciting game of softball.
Social is part of our name and we strive to make it a big part of our San Francisco softball leagues. We encourage you to come out and try one, play some softball and meet new people. SF Social offers various styles of softball leagues. Choose from men’s or coed with various levels of competition. Beginners and advanced players are all welcome to join.
After your game, head over to our sponsor bar for some drinks and post-game celebrations.
Upcoming Softball Leagues in San Francisco
How to Sign Up
- Minimum for a full softball team is 15 players. If you do not meet this minimum free agents will be added to your team.
- The captain creates a team and teammates “join” the team. The captain can pay for everyone or players can pay individually.
- You can sign up with friends even if you do not have a full team!
- The captain should click “create team” & note estimated players.
- Teammates join that “team.”
- Once registration is closed, we will combine your group with other small groups and free-agents.
- Signing up as a free agent is the best way to meet people in San Francisco!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
- NO ump fees
- Gloves are not provided. Please bring your own
- Click here for a complete list of rules
Players registered with SF Social enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo City Events
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in SF and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Food & Drink Specials
- Dedicated space & reserved tables for your league
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!
SF Social Softball FAQ
What can I expect at an SF Social softball league?
A premiere, FUN experience! Plan to arrive at the field 10-15 minutes before game time to meet up with your teammates and get ready to play in your SF Social softball league. Make sure you pencil us in for at least 60-minutes or 6 innings, whichever come first. Once your game ends, the night is just beginning. Head to your sponsor bar for drink specials and a chance to meet everyone in your league.
How competitive are the softball leagues?
We’re all about having a good time here at SF Social! While we offer some competitive softball leagues, those are specifically labeled as such and everything else is all about being social. We also offer a variety of divisions including coed and men’s. Check each league for specific information on the SF Social softball page or shoot us an email if you have questions!
How many people do I need for a full softball team?
Please view the roster size chart for specific roster size requirements.
How much does it cost to join SF Social Softball?
You can expect your SF Social softball league to be anywhere from $89-$100 per player for the entire season. Registration fees are dependent on location and day of the week, so be sure to check the league details carefully. After you sign up, everything else is taken care of for you. Your registration includes league shirt, referees, venue costs, insurance, equipment, prizes, league management and so much more!
Don’t forget, when you sign up with SF Social, your league registration helps provide free youth sports programs in San Francisco through the Volo City Kids Foundation. #playwithpurpose
What are the SF Social softball gender requirements?
Please view the full softball rules page for specific gender requirements.
SF Social Softball Rules
Men’s 9 v 9 & Coed 10 v 10 (7 Males Max on the field)
- Rule number one – Be nice!
- 6 players minimum to start game (must have 1 female for coed)
- Bats provided at leagues, but you are welcome to bring your own
- Bats must be ASA, USSA or NSA certified
- Gloves ARE NOT PROVIDED. Please bring your own
- Walks are 1 base
- AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH GAME both teams MUST submit a written list of their batting order to the ump
- NO bunting – bunts are a foul ball (at the ref’s discretion)
- 2 fouls is an out
- Ball should be thrown between 6 ft. (min) to 16 ft. (max) measured from the ground
- If the ball is between the 6’ to 16’ range and hits home plate or the strike mat, then it is a strike
- (COED ONLY) A male will receive 2 bases when walked ONLY if a female is next to bat regardless of whether bases are occupied or not.
- ALL batters WILL START WITH A 1-1 COUNT
- Sliding is ALLOWED, Any slide that results in excessive contact with the defensive player will result in the runner being called out (at the ref’s discretion)
- 6 innings in a game
- UNLESS we reach the 50 minute warning: then both teams will be warned and the start the of next inning will be the FINAL inning
- In the final inning, the losing team bats first
- *Weekend Leagues Only* – 7 innings or one hour, whichever comes first
- Mercy Rule – lessens the chance of having blowouts early in the games (boring for everyone)
- Max. 6 runs can be scored per inning (EXCEPT the last inning – no limit)
- Games CAN end in a tie during the regular season
- An extra inning will be played in the event of a tie game. (Only in playoffs)
- If the game is still tied after that extra inning then the team that reached the furthest base wins.
- NO stealing, CANNOT leave his/her base until the pitched ball is hit. NO pick off attempts
- Ball is DEAD on a pitch once it hits the ground (or a player)
- Overthrow rule: If the ball is deemed out of play or unplayable, ALL runners are awarded 1 base from the base LAST possessed, upon release of the throw, if the ball is OVERTHROWN and REMAINS in play, the game continues
League wide policies:
- Teams without the minimum number of players will forfeit after 10 minutes from their designated start time
- Playoffs ONLY – At the beginning of each game, both teams MUST submit a written batting order to the ref
*Forfeit Rule*: All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season, unless you forfeit twice within the regular season.