San Francisco Flag Football
Get ready to dive for the pylons, dance in the end zones and pull some flags.
Never got the chance to pursue your dream of becoming a star flag football player? Today’s your lucky day! SF Social hosts flag football leagues in various San Francisco neighborhoods such as Presidio and Fillmore. Our San Francisco coed and men’s flag football leagues allow for everyone to get involved and to meet new people!
Here at SF Social we strive to make our leagues a social atmosphere for everyone. What better way to do that than to play flag football in San Francisco? After your game, we’ll head over to one of our sponsor bars for a post-game celebration!
Upcoming Flag Football League in SF
How to Sign Up
- *Minimum players for a full flag football team depends on type of league.
- 5v5 – 9 Player Min for Team
- 8v8 – 12 Player Min for Team
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee’s among team members.
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- *Size of small groups depends on type of flag league
- 5v5 – 2-8 Players for small group
- 8v8 – 2-11 Players for small group
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before signup deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in Denver!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
- All flags and other equipment are provided at the fields
- See the roster grid for roster minimums and gender requirements.
- All referee fees are included in your registration price, no need to bring money to the field
- Flag football league seasons are 6 weeks + playoffs (all teams make playoffs unless they forfeit 2x)
- Click here for a full list of rules
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in SF and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Food & Drink Specials
- Dedicated space & reserved tables for your league
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!
Players registered with SF Social enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all SF Social & Volo City Events
Flag Football FAQ
What can I expect at an SF Social flag football league?
A premiere, FUN experience! Plan to arrive at the field 10-15 minutes before game time to meet up with your teammates and get ready to play in your SF Social flag football league. Make sure you pencil us in for two 24-minute halves. Once your game ends, the night is just beginning. Head to your sponsor bar for drink specials and a chance to meet everyone in your league.
How competitive are the flag football leagues?
We’re all about having a good time here at SF Social! Our flag football leagues are a great mix of competitive and social. Check each league for specific information on the SF Social flag football page or shoot us an email if you have questions!
How many people do I need for a full flag football team?
Please view the roster size chart for specific roster requirements. If you and your crew don’t have a full roster, we’ll merge you with another small group. FYI – merged teams generally have extra players to protect against forfeits. If you’d like to make sure you have a larger or smaller team, you can register as a prepaid team which allows you determine the amount of players on your team.
How much does it cost to join SF Social flag football?
You can expect your SF Social flag football league to be anywhere from $79-$89 per player for the entire season. Registration fees are dependent on location and day of the week, so be sure to check the league details carefully. After you sign up, everything else is taken care of for you. Your registration includes league shirt, referees, venue costs, insurance, equipment, prizes, league management and so much more!
Don’t forget, when you sign up with SF Social, your league registration helps provide free youth sports programs in San Francisco through the Volo City Kids Foundation. #playwithpurpose
What are the SF Social flag football gender requirements?
Please view the roster size chart for specific gender requirements.
Flag Football Rules
NUMBER 1 FLAG FOOTBALL RULE
● ONLY the captain can ask about a RULES CALL, NOT a JUDGEMENT call
● Don’t argue judgement calls (if you slow down the game you will receive a penalty)
● This is a Coed 8v8 league aka maximum of 8 players on the field
○ Teams can field a maximum of 5 males on the field
○ Teams must have at least 3 females to field a full 8 players
○ Teams must have a minimum of 5 to play, 1 must be a female
● Teams receive one, 1 minute timeout per half (do not carry over)
● Games are played with a running clock, 24 minutes per half (only stops in the 2nd half
under 2 minutes)
● This is a NO BLOCKING league
● Players must loudly count out 5 Mississippi on the line to rush the quarterback to not
count as a blitz
● Each team receives one untimed blitz each new set of downs
● Players cannot leave their feet unless to make a catch or to avoid a dangerous
● All players are eligible receivers
● NO flag guarding
● There is NO Blitzing inside the 5 yard line but the defense can rush after a 5 count.
● Quarterback Running
○ Allowed to run on any play EXCEPT:
■ Within the 5 yard line (or 1 point conversion) unless the
quarterback is rushed by the defense after a 5 count.
■ Males QBs CANNOT run on gender plays
● Female score(s) count for one bonus point on all scoring plays
○ If a woman throws to another woman that is only 1 extra point
● NO Fumbles: The football is considered a dead ball where it touches the ground
● Teams MUST have 1 gender play, at least once every in every 3 plays
● With male QB: you CAN have 1 male on the L.O.S. to guard the QB.
● All males MUST play 10 yards back until the ball is thrown, then they are able to break inside the 10 yard mark on the
○ If the offense overloads on females (3+), the defense can designate one male to cover the extra female without
providing the 10 yard safety zone.
○ If the QB is female, the defensive players do not need to provide the 10 yard safety zone.
● The gender play must be for or attempted for positive yardage
○ If the female ball carrier is “tackled” behind the line of scrimmage or an incomplete pass is made behind the line of
scrimmage it does not count as the required operative play.
● A female player CAN blitz the QB
○ Only if the team’s blitz for that down set is available
● A woman CANNOT hand off to a man – she can throw it forward to a man but he MUST get past the L.O.S.
● The offensive team must declare that they are going to punt – NO fakes or blocks allowed
● The ball does not need to be hiked to the punter
What is that “V” on Your Shirt?
The V represents our new brand, Volo City. The new brand will tie together our free youth leagues, adult leagues, events, performance leagues & fitness classes across the country in our 8 markets (Denver, San Francisco, NYC, Baltimore, Boston, Seattle, Washington D.C. & Charleston, S.C.).
We are excited about the inclusion of free youth leagues that are made possible by your participation! If you are interested in volunteering, stay tuned as we will be sending out more information during the season.