SF Bocce League
Our leagues are laid back and we welcome beginners
San Francisco bocce leagues are a friendly atmosphere where you can meet new people and have fun at the same time. We’re hosting leagues near you throughout the year and the good news – we’ll take care of everything! We host bocce leagues in awesome locations such as Joe DiMaggio Park and Anchor Public Taps. You just need to sign up, show up and live it up. Pick your favorite bocce league in San Francisco and we’ll see you at the courts.
Upcoming Bocce Leagues in San Francisco
How to Sign Up
- The minimum for a full team is 5 players. If you do not meet this minimum free agents will be added to your team.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The captain can pay for everyone or players can pay individually.
- You can sign up with friends even if you do not have a full team!
- The captain should “create team” & note estimated players.
- Teammates join the “team.”
- Once registration closes we will combine your group with other small groups and free-agents.
- Signing up as a free agent is the best way to meet people in San Francisco!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up, just have them note to be put on the same team as you.
SF Social Bocce FAQ
What can I expect at a SF Social Bocce League?
A premiere, FUN experience! Plan to arrive at the court 10-15 minutes before game time to meet up with your teammates and get ready to play in your SF Social Bocce league. Make sure you pencil us in for at least 30-minutes or 12 points, whichever come first. Once your game ends, the night is just beginning. If you’re playing at a field or park, head to your sponsor bar for drink specials and a chance to meet everyone in your league. If you’re league venue is the bar, stick around to meet your fellow bocce players and take advantage of the drink specials!
How competitive are the Bocce Leagues?
We’re all about being social here at SF Social! SF Social Bocce leagues are all about having a good time and meeting new people. Shoot us an email if you have questions!
How many people do I need for a full bocce team?
All full bocce teams are required to have a minimum of 5 players. You need a minimum of 2 players to play each week. If you and your crew don’t have a full roster, we’ll merge you with another small group. FYI – merged teams generally have extra players to protect against forfeits. If you’d like to make sure you have a larger or smaller team, you can register as a prepaid team which allows you determine the amount of players on your team.
How much does it cost to join SF Social Bocce?
You can expect your SF Social bocce league to be approximately $60 per player for the entire season. Registration fees are dependent on location and day of the week, so be sure to check the league details carefully. After you sign up, everything else is taken care of for you. Your registration includes league shirt, referees, venue costs, insurance, equipment, prizes, league management and so much more!
Don’t forget, when you sign up with SF Social, your league registration helps provide free youth sports programs in San Francisco through the Volo City Kids Foundation. #playwithpurpose
What are the SF Social gender requirements for bocce?
While there are gender requirements for many SF Social sports leagues, there are no gender requirements for SF Social Bocce leagues.
SF Social Bocce Rules
- Rule number one – Be nice!
- Minimum 2 players to play
- Rock, paper, scissors to determine serving team
- The serving team throws the pallino (small ball)
- The pallino MUST pass the centerline of the court
- If the player fails 2 times, the opposing team throws the pallino
- The team that throws the pallino also throws the first bocce ball
- The opposing team then throws their first ball and continues to throw until they have a ball closer to the pallino than the starting team
- Teams alternate throws, with the team furthest from the pallino always playing until they are closer to the pallino or run out of balls
- Each game is to 15 (unlimited rounds)
- You don’t have to win by 2
- If the ball touches the pallino, you don’t get an extra point
- You can get 1, 2, 3, or 4 point(s) in a round; only 1 team can score points each round
- Points are based on who is closest to the pallino
- If you are closest, you get 1 point
- If you have the next 1, 2 or 3 balls that are closer than the opponent’s first closest ball, you receive the points
- If you throw a regular ball (not pallino) short of halfway, it stays on the court and can score a point
- The team that won the last round throws the ball first in the next round
- Ex. If the score is 10-1, then the team scores 2 points to make the score 10-3. The team with 3 points will throw the ball first (they won the last round).
*COURT PLAY ONLY
- If a ball is thrown and doesn’t hit another ball (or the pallino) and hits the back or side wall, that ball is out of play immediately.
- The pallino must be at least 6 inches from the back wall to start the round. If the pallino touches the back wall during the round, play continues normally.
- Teams without the minimum number of players 10 minutes after the scheduled start time forfeit their game.
- Forfeit Rule: All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (Hooray!), unless you forfeit twice within the regular season.
- 2 players minimum to play
- Games are to 15 (rounds are unlimited)
- Quality equipment and team t-shirts provided
- Click here for a full list of rules
Players registered with SF Social enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo City Events
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in SF and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Food & Drink Specials
- Dedicated space & reserved tables for your league
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!