SF Basketball League
Ready to ball? SF Social basketball leagues in San Francisco run throughout the year in neighborhoods such as Marina, North Beach, Mission Bay & beyond. Offering men’s, women’s and coed basketball leagues in San Francisco our leagues are a fast-paced, competitive yet social atmosphere. All levels are welcome. Come out, play basketball in San Francisco, meet new people and head to the sponsor bar afterward for the post-game social!
Part of the fun in your basketball league in San Francisco is not having to worry about anything else. We’ll take care of everything including referees and team shirts, you just focus on having FUN.
Upcoming Basketball Leagues in San Francisco
How to Sign Up
- Minimum for a full basketball team is 7 players. If you do not meet this minimum free agents will be added to your team.
- The captain creates a team and teammates “join” the team. The captain can pay for everyone or players can pay individually.
- You can sign up with friends even if you do not have a full team!
- The captain should click “create team” & note estimated players.
- Teammates join that “team.”
- Once registration is closed, we will combine your group with other small groups and free-agents.
- Signing up as a free agent is the best way to meet people in San Francisco!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
SF Social Basketball FAQ
What can I expect at an SF Social basketball league?
A premiere, FUN experience! Plan to arrive at the court 10-15 minutes before game time to meet up with your teammates and get ready to play in your SF Social basketball league. Make sure you pencil us in for two 20-minute halves. Once your game ends, the night is just beginning. Head to your sponsor bar for drink specials and a chance to meet everyone in your league.
How competitive are the basketball leagues?
We’re all about having a good time here at SF Social! While we offer some competitive basketball leagues, those are specifically labeled as such and everything else is all about being social. We also offer a variety of divisions including coed, men’s, women’s, 5v5 and 4v4. Check each league for specific information on the SF Social basketball page or shoot us an email if you have questions!
How many people do I need for a full basketball team?
All basketball teams are required to have a minimum of 7 players. If you and your crew don’t have a full roster, we’ll merge you with another small group. FYI – merged teams generally have extra players to protect against forfeits. If you’d like to make sure you have a larger or smaller team, you can register as a prepaid team which allows you determine the amount of players on your team.
How much does it cost to join SF Social basketball?
You can expect your SF Social basketball league to be anywhere from $89-$115 per player for the entire season. Registration fees are dependent on location and day of the week, so be sure to check the league details carefully. After you sign up, everything else is taken care of for you. Your registration includes league shirt, referees, venue costs, insurance, equipment, prizes, league management and so much more!
Don’t forget, when you sign up with SF Social, your league registration helps provide free youth sports programs in San Francisco through the Volo City Kids Foundation. #playwithpurpose
What are the SF Social Basketball Gender Requirements?
When signing up your basketball team, be aware that you need a minimum of 3 people to play, for both 4v4 and 5v5 leagues. For all coed leagues, you may have a maximum of 3 males on the court at a time and must have at least 1 female on the court at all times.
SF Social Basketball Rules
- Rule number one – Be nice!
- Minimum 3 to play (1 of which must be female)
- Coed: 3 males maximum on court
- 20 minute halves
- 1 timeout per half (does not carry over)
- Clock doesn’t stop in the 1st half.
- Clock stops in the 2nd half in the last 2 minutes only if a team is losing by 10 points or less
- No dunking
- NCAA Rules (if not otherwise listed)
- Personal Fouls are not tracked, but do count towards team fouls (on the 7th team foul it goes to double bonus)
- If a team is ahead by more than 10 points at any time during the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half, the remainder of the game will be played as running time
- If their lead falls to 10 points or under, the game will return to stopped time
- No overtime during regular season games
- Games can end in a tie
- 1 minute of overtime (if necessary) for playoff games only
Fouls and Free Throws
- A player will be disqualified after their second technical foul
- Any unsportsmanlike or flagrant foul will result in 2 free throws, automatic ejection and loss of possession
- After the 7th team foul, it goes to the bonus, and the team fouled gets 2 shots on each foul thereafter
- May be made following the whistle, but ONLY after the substitute has been acknowledged by an official
League wide policies:
- Teams without the minimum number of players 10 minutes after their scheduled start time forfeit the game
- Forfeit Rule: All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (hooray!) unless you forfeit twice within the regular season
Playoffs: IDs are required for all players in order to play (to be checked with the roster) and each member of the team must have attended at least one regular season game in order to compete in playoffs
- The season will last six weeks + playoffs (all teams make playoffs)
- Full teams will consist of 7 to 10 players
- You must have at least 3 to play each week.
- Click here for a full list of rules
Players registered with SF Social enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo City Events
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in SF and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Drink Specials
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!